The company says its millions of users stored their own data, including family photos and personal documents. They haven’t been able to see their data since the government raids earlier this month, but there has been hope would be able to get it back.
A letter filed in the case Friday by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia said storage companies Carpathia Hosting Inc. and Cogent Communications Group Inc. may begin deleting data Thursday. Spokespersons for the two companies and for the U.S. Attorney’s Office did not respond to messages Sunday night.
The letter said the government copied some data from the servers but did not physically take them. It said that now that it has executed its search warrants, it has no right to access the data. The servers are controlled by Carpathia and Cogent and issues about the future of the data must be resolved with them, prosecutors said.
“We’re cautiously optimistic at this point that because the United States, as well as Megaupload, should have a common desire to protect consumers, that this type of agreement will get done,” he said.
- Megaupload.com Shut Down by Feds for Copyright Violation
- HTC Android Smartphone Security Flaw Exposes Sensitive User Data
- Kim Dotcom: Police Cut Way Into Mansion To Arrest Megaupload Founder
- Anonymous Responds To Megaupload Takedown; Claims Credit For DOJ, RIAA, MPAA, Universal Music Outages
- Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom denied bail in N. Zealand
There are no comments yet. Why not be the first to speak your mind.