LONDON (AP) — Four former News International executives challenged statements made to Parliament by their bosses — Rupert and James Murdoch — with one saying Tuesday that the media mogul wrongly blamed outside lawyers for improperly investigating his company’s phone hacking scandal.
Jonathan Chapman, the former director of legal affairs with News International, said the elder Murdoch made a mistake when he blamed the London law firm Harbottle & Lewis for failing to uncover the scope of the hacking scandal back in 2007. News International is the British arm of Murdoch’s News Corp.
Chapman was one of four executives fielding questions Tuesday from Parliament’s media committee about what they knew and when. All cast doubt on key aspects of the testimony given by Rupert Murdoch and his son James earlier this summer.
The hacking scandal has devastated the family’s British newspaper arm, leading to the closure of the News of the World tabloid and the arrests of more than a dozen of its former journalists. On Tuesday, News International announced 110 job cuts across its surviving titles.
Revelations of systematic wrongdoing at the top-selling Sunday newspaper have also rocked British police and politicians, both of whom are accused of turning a blind eye to shady practices for fear of antagonizing the Murdochs’ powerful media empire.
Andy Coulson, a former News of the World editor and until recently Prime Minister David Cameron’s top media aide, has resigned in the scandal — as have the two top officers with Scotland Yard. Coulson has also been arrested.
Although allegations of illegal behavior are still emerging, the scandal’s focus has shifted to questions of who knew what and when — and whether senior Murdoch lieutenants tried to bury the scandal by paying off those involved.
“He realized that the News of the World was involved, and that that involved people beyond Clive Goodman,” Crone said. He was backed by Colin Myler — who replaced Coulson as News of the World editor following Goodman’s conviction.
And what about the massive payout made to Goodman after he’d been convicted of illegal eavesdropping? Who on earth, one parliamentarian asked, would authorize the payment of a quarter million pounds ($400,000 at current rates) to a criminal?
Not so, the pair said Tuesday. They both testified that it was Les Hinton, one of Murdoch’s most trusted aides — and until recently the publisher of the Wall Street Journal — who authorized the award. Hinton is the most senior Murdoch executive to resign in the scandal.
Chapman said Hinton claimed to be acting on compassionate grounds, although he acknowledged that it might seem odd that News International was acting so generously toward an employee guilty of gross misconduct
In a statement, James Murdoch said he stood by his previous statements, alleging that “neither Mr. Myler nor Mr. Crone told me that wrongdoing extended beyond Mr. Goodman or (Glenn) Mulcaire” — the private investigator Goodman was employing. Both Goodman and Mulcaire went to jail for phone hacking.
Tuesday’s testimony did indeed include contradictions — Myler and Cloke, for example, disagreed on what the latter had said following News International’s internal investigation. In a couple of places, Crone’s statements seemed at odds with what he had told lawmakers earlier — although he insisted he was being consistent.
Crone, for example, couldn’t remember whether he was at work the night that the News of the World published details of teenage murder victim Milly Dowler’s phone messages. Myler couldn’t remember whether he was involved in reviewing invoices when he took over at the News of the World.
But then Crone confirmed that a freelancer working for News of the World had put together a dossier on two lawyers representing hacking victims who were suing Murdoch’s empire. Attorney Mark Lewis, who represents phone hacking victims, has described the move as an apparent attempt by Murdoch’s newspaper to gain an unfair advantage their legal battles.
In a separate development, a judge-led inquiry aimed at evaluating the health of Britain’s scandal-tarred press held its first hearing Tuesday. Lord Justice Brian Leveson said he would look into the “culture, practice and ethics” of the press and later into the extent of any improper conduct.
- Murdoch Could Be Recalled As ‘Devastating’ Papers Cast Doubt Over His Evidence
- BREAKING: News Of The World Reporter Alleges A Cover-Up Of Phone Hacking At The Highest Levels Of The Paper
- Murdochs summoned to testify in phone hack inquiry
- Phone Hacking: The World Managing Editor Stuart Kuttner Arrested
- NY comptroller nixes school deal with Murdoch co.
There are no comments yet. Why not be the first to speak your mind.