PARIS — Four people were found shot to death on a forest road in the French Alps on Wednesday, their bodies left in and near a car with British license plates, authorities said. A girl discovered at the site with bullet wounds was hospitalized.
Police combed the wooded hills around the village of Chevaline into the night in search of possible perpetrators. Forensic experts were heading to the site where a startled cyclist came across the corpses during a leisure ride.
Two of the victims were women, two men, police said. But their identities and nationalities are unclear. The British Foreign Office said it was aware of reports of the incident and was looking into it.
The girl was in critical condition Wednesday night in a nearby hospital, said an official with the gendarme service for the Haute-Savoie region. The official was not authorized to be publicly named. The gendarme service – a kind of police force – had initially said that she died.
Three bodies were found in a BMW sports utility vehicle registered in Britain – a male driver and two women in the back seat, Maillaud said. The body of a male cyclist was found nearby, and the wounded girl was found near the vehicle. A large number of bullet casings were scattered around the car.
- Man shot dead after opening fire near Issaquah High School
- French Tennis Player’s Amazing Shot At U.S. Open 2011:Gael Monfils Trick Shot Video
- Toronto Block Party Shooting: Danzig, Morningside Gunfire Leaves 2 Dead, 19 Injured
- Gunman among 8 dead in shooting rampage in Copley Township
- Mexico: Gulf Cartel’s Accountant Found Shot Dead