The regional prosecutor’s office in Russia’s Far East said the An-12′s crew reported shortly after taking off Tuesday from Magadan that one of the plane’s four engines was on fire.
The pilots tried to return to the airport, but communications with the plane was lost shortly after.
Prosecutors say in a statement that the plane wreck was located in deep forest, but rescuers couldn’t immediately reach the area. They say a crew of nine and two people are all believed to have died in the crash.
The An-12, a four-engine turboprop, has been a workhorse of Soviet and Russian aviation since the early 1960s.
- After a Russian Plane Crached on The Freeway, 44 People were Killed
- 12 hurt in Russian airliner’s crash landing
- Cheers to screams as jet from NY crashes in Guyana
- 163 people escape on board plane that crashed and snapped in two in Guyana
- 38 Die as US Chopper Crashes In Afghanistan
There are no comments yet. Why not be the first to speak your mind.