Seventeen-year-old girl collapsed and died in agony after suffering extreme reaction, while dyeing her hair with friend
Tabatha McCourt, 17, was watching the X Factor on TV when she ran screaming from the bathroom of the family home in Airdrie, Lanarkshire, pulling on her hair and vomiting before she finally collapsed.
Friends told how Tabatha’s eyes started to roll and she began having such a violent fit that it took two people to hold her down.
Tabatha’s best friend Heather Goodhall called 999 but paramedics who came to the house, were unable to save her.
Heather said: ‘Tabatha was always dyeing her hair different colours.
‘The dye had only been in around 20 minutes when she got up and went to the bathroom.
‘She came back a couple of minutes later, sat down on the seat, and then began frantically pulling the foils from her hair.
‘She started shouting, “no, no” and my mum’s boyfriend held her and tried to calm her down.
‘It was really scary. Her eyes started going all funny and then she just started being sick.
‘It was really frightening. She looked just like a rag doll, limp, just lying there.
‘We phoned for the ambulance and when they arrived they told us to get out of the living room so I couldn’t see what was happening.
‘The next thing we new she was being taken out of the house and into the ambulance.’
Tabatha was taken to Monklands General Hospital, Lanarkshire, following the incident which happened at a friend’s house shortly before 10.30pm on Saturday night, but she later died.
Heather added: ‘It all seems like it’s not real. We were best pals for two years.
‘Tabatha was a great friend, so generous and full of life, always hyper and bubbly. She had the biggest heart and was a really lovely person.
‘We were planning to have a joint 18th birthday party next year. I can’t believe she is gone.’
Heather’s mother Carol, 43, fought back the tears as she said: ‘Tabatha was always over here, especially at weekends.
‘They were great friends. It’s such a shock to everyone.’
Tabatha lived with her mother Margaret, father Peter and sisters Tiffany, 15 and Jasmine, 11.
Jasmine posted on social networking site Facebook: ‘RIP big sister. I know you are gone but you will always be in my heart. Love you so much xx.’
Friends and family have placed floral tributes and notes at the teenager’s home and posted comments on Facebook.
One tribute said: ‘Tabatha you were one in a million chick we all miss you.. you’ve been taken too soon.’
Police said they were treating the death as ‘unexplained’ and an investigation has begun.
A hairdressing expert, who did not wish to be named, said: ‘It’s incredibly rare for someone to suffer a violent reaction to hair dye, but it is not unheard of.
‘It could be that the strength of the hydrogen peroxide was too high and as a result her body reacted to it.’
- Phone Thief Sends Victim Facebook Friend Request
- Juan Gonzales Jr., Phone Thief Suspect, Sends Victim A Facebook Friend Request
- Transgender 10-Year-Old, Jackie, Born A Boy, Happier As A Girl
- 8-Year-Old Girl Is World’s Youngest Drag Racer
- Michael Hoffman, 21-year-old CU-boulder student, dies after night of drinking with friend
There are no comments yet. Why not be the first to speak your mind.