Two workers were hospitalized with burns and emergency officials were working to locate 10 other miners who had worked in the area of the explosion.
The blast hit the Suhodilsk-Eastern mine in the eastern Luhansk region at about 2 a.m. local time Friday at a depth of 915 meters (0.6 miles), the ministry said.
Investigators are working to establish the cause of the explosion.
Ukraine’s coal mines are among the world’s most dangerous due to outdated equipment and poor safety standards.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.
KIEV, Ukraine (AP) – Ukraine’s Emergency Situations Ministry says 16 miners have been killed in an explosion at a mine in the country’s east.
Two other miners were injured and 10 remained missing and were being searched for, the ministry said.
The blast rocked the mine in the eastern Luhansk region around 2 a.m. local time Friday.
- 16 wiped out in Ukraine mine blast
- 2 Chinese miners survive week in collapsed mine
- Blast kills 2 outside a church near Nigeria’s capital
- Northwest Pakistan Hit By a Deadly Blast
- Rescuers in southern China have called off a search at a mine where 23 workers were trapped by flooding two weeks ago.
There are no comments yet. Why not be the first to speak your mind.