Online newspaper VnExpress quoted the director of Hanoi’s science and technology department, Le Xuan Rao, as saying the turtle returned to the cleaned-up Hoan Kiem lake Tuesday after being treated for skin lesions.
In April, the turtle was removed from the lake and put into a holding tank for treatment after photos showed injuries on its legs and neck.
The giant female turtle has a shell size of a desk and weighs 370 pounds (169 kilograms). It is one of four known living Rafetus swinhoei species.
Many Vietnamese believe it is the same mythical creature said to have helped King Le Loi fend off the Chinese nearly six centuries ago.
- Vietnam detains anti-China protesters and journalists
- Last Vietnam-era draftee decides to retire
- Georgia releases one of 4 photographers charged with espionage
- Health Authorities Worried Mutant E. Coli Outbreak
- Africa drought puts millions at critical health risks
There are no comments yet. Why not be the first to speak your mind.